- Do not be on fire.
For all the rules below, the motto ‘if in doubt, ask’ applies.
- Don’t be abusive to any person.
You may be asked to leave or may even be banned from the space.
- Don’t use hazardous equipment alone.
Nobody shall use hazardous equipment while alone in the space or without being sufficiently competent. If you do not know how to use a tool you must ask for the assistance of someone who does. If you do not know if something is hazardous you must ask someone who does.
- Respect people’s property.
Ask before borrowing other peoples stuff; communal tools and equipment are listed on our wiki.
- Leave the space at least as well as you found it.
Please keep the space in a pleasant, clean and tidy state. Wash up any kitchenware and sweep up any sawdust etc. Pack away your projects when you’re not working on them and put tools back where they belong. Items left on desk surfaces may be moved or disposed. Hot food/drink etc is allowed however please be considerate of others when consuming strong smelling foods.
- Don’t use the space for illegal or immoral purposes.
Avoid doing harm to the SoMakeIt’s reputation. Do not bring illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia or evidence of drug use to the space. Do not print firearms at the space, you can do so at home rather than under the name of SoMakeIt.
- Be a good neighbour.
Try not to make a noise nuisance and look after shared facilities, currently this is the outdoor areas at the space.
- No industrial activity between 11pm and 7am.
This is a restriction imposed by Southampton City Council.
- Keep your subscription up to date.
- Under 16s may not enter the space without a responsible adult. Under 18s may not enter the workshop area.
The responsible adult can be a parent/guardian, or any adult member with permission from a trustee and a parent/guardian in advance. Said responsible adult assumes all responsibility for the actions and safety of said minor.
- Nobody may use the makerspace as accommodation.
- Members must not operate hazardous equipment while their judgement or reaction times are impaired.
Whether due to alcohol, drugs, or any other condition.
- Stop and report any dangerous activity or accident within the space.
Accidents, near misses and possible health and safety issues no matter how small must be reported to Trustees by email.
- Emergency equipment (fire alarms, extinguishers, first aid boxes, etc) must not be hacked or tampered with in any way and are only for use in emergencies.
- Personal protective equipment (safety goggles, dust masks, etc) must be used as appropriate.
Report any issues with health and safety or emergency equipment to Trustees ASAP.
- All waste must be disposed of correctly.
Check material safety datasheets if you are unsure (eg. do not just pour acetone down the drain), please recycle.
- Pay for all consumables used.
Whether you use some components, 3D printing filament or drinks/food from the fridge, ensure that they are paid for in the donation tins or directly into the SoMakeIt accounts. Please refer to the Fair Use Policy.
- Do not play licensed music at the space.
In order to play licensed music at the space we would require a PRS/PPL license. This is applicable to all commercial properties that play commercial music from recordings or radio etc. At an EGM in around 2017 SoMakeIt members voted not to pay for the license which, at the time, was around £400. Therefore, playing music at the space is now banned unless it’s through headphones, or we risk being fined.